Monday, July 28, 2014

Mrs. Margaret Morrow Mimms

Mrs. Margaret Morrow Mimms, "Gan," is turning 90 this weekend. She is Charlie's grandmother, but she is also a mother, a grandmother, a great grandmother, and a friend. To me she is very very special, but I know to her own flesh and blood she is even more special. I can't remember the day I met her, it was probably a weekend in Bishopville when Charlie and I first started dating but then, and even today, she intrigues me. I'm not just saying this because she is Charlie's grandmother but there is something very special about her. She reminds me a lot of my grandmother, Helen, both are selfless, devout Christians, and two of the most humble people I know.

Charlie and I try our best to visit family as often as we can. I envy families who live in the same town. His family is in Bishopville, Darlington and Charleston, and most of my family is in North Carolina. I grew up with my grandparents only 5 miles away, as Granny, or Helen, helped in anyway she could. Often times she fed and helped bathe us in the evenings, especially when Adam and I were very young. My mother worked 3rd shift as a night nurse, and hated being away from us, but Granny was always there to help Dad.

Margaret and Helen are both very special to Charlie and I. Margaret was a school teacher, and taught in the public school for over 55 years, and Helen worked for the Secret Service for over 50 years.

When Charlie and I are around them and especially Gan, she is never short of a long conversation, sharing her advice and wisdom. I think one of the most prominent words of advice she has ever given Charlie and I is to be apart of a church, and to be active in a church. As she describes, there are so many bad things in this world and having God as the center of your heart and soul, you will never stray. I could go on and on about her, maybe a little too much, but she is very special. I always enjoy visiting her, she would give anything and do anything for her family.

Charlie and I went to visit her this weekend in Charleston. It was a weekend full of wisdom and laughs. We took her to dinner Friday night to Graze, probably not the best place to take a 90 year old but the food was amazing. Saturday Charlie and I enjoyed a long walk on the bridge, followed by me getting a pedicure and manicure with Gan, and lunch at Fleet Landing with Sloan and the rest of the family. Saturday afternoon Gan wanted to go to the beach, so we took her to Sullivan's, she loved it. Saturday evening we got back to the house and she fell asleep in her chair. No dinner for her! So Charlie and I went to dinner with a few of his friends. We had an amazing weekend, one we will never forget.


Gan, Happy 90th! We hope you are here another 10 years, so you can share your wisdom and laughs with our children. You are special and have left us with many wonderful memories. Thank you for molding Charlie into who he is today.

Walking the bridge early on Saturday morning


Hot bridge walk

We love Charleston

Mani and Pedi's

Lunch at Fleet Landing

Sullivan's Island

Never gets old

Dinner Saturday night with friends at Shelter

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had to tell you how much I've enjoyed your blog especially this post!! I read it to Gan (Hope you didn't mind me sharing:) She was smiling from "hearing-aid to hearing-aid"She is a very special lady and she's blessed to call you family, we ALL are!!

    ReplyDelete